CHORUS is a suite of services and best practices that provide a sustainable solution to deliver open access to published articles reporting on funded research.
- IDENTIFICATION: Simply naming the funding source during the article submission process adds metadata from the Crossref Open Funder Registry, which triggers open access to the article and minimizes the time researchers have to spend on administrative tasks.
- DISCOVERY: Users can quickly find the latest research articles via funder portals and common search engines, as well as through CHORUS’ search application. CHORUS’ use of open application programming interfaces invites innovators to develop new tools and functionality that further support open access and facilitates text and data mining on articles reporting on funded research.
- ACCESS: CHORUS points users to the best available version of articles — either immediately on publication or after an embargo period — on the publication sites, where they can find essential context, tools, and information.
- COMPLIANCE: Compliance is easy using simple tagging built into the article submission process, while a CHORUS Dashboard application facilitates monitoring and reporting by funders and publishers without adding unnecessary costs and administrative overhead.
- PRESERVATION: CHORUS ensures the integrity and sustainability of the scholarly record through partnerships with CLOCKSS, Portico, and other services that archive and preserve research articles in perpetuity.
CHORUS’ benefits for funding agencies:
- Quick and easy compliance with open or public access requirements built into the author’s submission process, minimizing time and effort spent on these tasks. o Minimizes costs, streamlines compliance, and reduces administrative overhead by building on existing infrastructure and services, thereby preserving funds for the research enterprise.
- Ensures greater visibility of the articles reporting on research you fund, due to optimized search via common engines and the CHORUS search service.
- Enables open access to articles reporting on research your organization funds, using proven systems that work well with the platforms and processes used by agencies and institutions in academia, government, and the private sector.
- Protects the integrity of the scholarly record by directing users to the best available versions of articles in context with essential tools, updates, and correction/retraction information.
- Ensures long-term availability and preservation of research articles through partnerships with archiving services such as CLOCKSS and Portico.
- Provides monitoring and reporting dashboards that hold researchers and publishers accountable.
Download the PDF version of CHORUS for Funders.