CHORUS is a cooperative effort involving publishers, funding agencies, technology and resource partners, and other organizations engaged in scholarly publishing for the public benefit.
CHORUS is an initiative of CHOR, Inc., a membership organization that was granted 501(c)(3) status by the US Internal Revenue Service. The designation means that we have met the rigorous standards to qualify as a nonprofit organization operated for the public benefit.
Since the passage of the America COMPETES Act in 2010, and the issuance of the U.S. Office of Science and Technology Policy’s directive in February 2013, the publishing community has been working closely with federal agencies and other stakeholders to expand access to scholarly publications reporting on funded research. CHORUS is built on the robust infrastructure of the Crossref Open Funder Registry, which grew out of this collaboration and takes the effort to the next level. Crossref, the organization that enables reference linking of the world’s online scholarly literature, is an important CHORUS service provider and plays a key advisory role in its development and governance.
At the heart of CHORUS are not-for-profit and commercial publishers and related technology and resource businesses and organizations. The CHORUS publishers collectively produce the vast majority of published articles reporting on funded research.
Publishers are encouraged to join CHORUS as Publisher Members, and technology and resource businesses and organizations as Affiliate Members. Fourteen members of this group currently serve on the interim Board of Directors of CHOR, Inc., the organization behind CHORUS (a full list of Directors can be found here).
Organizations that want to establish an affiliation with CHORUS, but are not ready to commit to one of our membership options, with organizational rights, services, and obligations, are welcome to become signatories.
- American Association of Physicists in Medicine
- American Association of Physics Teachers
- American Astronomical Society
- American Chemical Society
- American College of Physicians
- American Diabetes Association
- American Geophysical Union
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- AIP Publishing
- American Mathematical Society
- American Meteorological Society
- American Physical Society
- American Psychological Association
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- American Society of Plant Biologists
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- AVS: Science & Technology of Materials, Interfaces and Processing
- The Company of Biologists
- Genetics Society of America
- IOP Publishing
- Journal of Orthopaedic & Sports Physical Therapy
- Life Science Alliance
- The Optical Society
- Oxford University Press
- PNAS / National Academy of Sciences
- The Rockefeller University Press
- Royal Society of Chemistry
- SAGE Publishing
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics
- Society of Exploration Geophysicists
- Society of Rheology
- Taylor & Francis Group
- Wolters Kluwer Health
- Association of American Publishers/Professional & Scholarly Publishers
- International Association of Scientific, Technical and Medical Publishers (STM)
- KnowledgeWorks Global Ltd.