Reading List & Useful Links for Policy Guidance of OSTP Memo August 25, 2022:
“Ensuring Free, Immediate, and Equitable Access to Federally Funded Research”
The following is a curated list of analyses, White House documents, and opinion pieces.
CHORUS will update this list periodically. Feel free to send suggested additions/corrections to email@example.com.
See also the CHORUS list of US Public Access Plans Details.
Last updated: 13 January 2023
These pieces are excellent reads on the potential impacts of the memo and also provide some suggestions for next steps.
- Anderson, R., “A New OSTP Memo. Some Initial Observations and Questions.“ The Scholarly Kitchen, 29 August 2022.
- Clarke & Esposito, “Zero Embargo.” The Brief. Issue 45, August 2022.
- Pooley, J., “The Big APC Question Mark Hovering Over the OSTP Announcement.” 26 August 2022.
- Pollock, D. & Michael, A., “OSTP Memo – Modeling Market Impact” Delta Think News & Views. 8 September 2022.
White House Links
- Marcum, Chris & Donahue, Ryan, OSTP Blog: “Breakthroughs for All: Delivering Equitable Access to America’s Research“, 25 August 2022.
- Nelson, Alondra. OSTP Memo: “Ensuring Free, Immediate, and Equitable Access to Federally Funded Research”, 25 August 2022.
- White House Press Release: “Guidance to Make Federally Funded Research Freely Available Without Delay.“, 25 August 2022.
- White House OSTP Report to Congress: “Economic Landscape of Federal Public Access Policy“, 25 August 2022.
- Recording from the Community Forum on the 2022 OSTP Public Access Policy Guidelines, 7 November.
- Frequently Asked Questions: 2022 Public Access Policy Guidance, 20 December 2022.
- FACT SHEET: Biden-Harris Administration Announces New Actions to Advance Open and Equitable Research, 11 January 2023.
- OSTP Releases Framework for Strengthening Federal Scientific Integrity Policies and Practices, 12 January 2023.
Opinion Pieces & Other Reading
- AAP Statement: “Statement from Shelley Husband, Senior Vice President, Government Affairs, AAP, on Decision by The White House Office of Science and Technology Policy to Make Private Sector Publications Freely Available“, 25 August 2022.
- Anderson, R. & Wulf, K. “New Light on the New OSTP Memo: An Interview with Dr. Alondra Nelson“, The Scholarly Kitchen, 11 October 2022.
- Anderson, R. & Wulf, K. “Thoughts and Observations on the OSTP Responses to Our Interview Questions“, The Scholarly Kitchen, 13 October 2022.
- Association of Research Libraries. “ARL Celebrates Biden-Harris administration’s historic policy to make federally funded research immediately available”, Association of Research Libraries, 25 August 2022.
- Brainard, J. & Kaiser, J., “White House requires immediate public access to all U.S.-funded research papers by 2025”, Science, 26 August 2022.
- cOAlition S, “cOAlition S welcomes the updated open access policy guidance from the White House Office of Science Technology and Policy”, cOAlition S, 26 August 2022.
- Crotty, D., “Revisiting — Compliance: The Coming Storm“, The Scholarly Kitchen, 29 September 2022.
- Crotty, D., “Speculation on the Most Likely OSTP Nelson Memo Implementation Scenario and the Resulting Publisher Strategies“, The Scholarly Kitchen, 27 October 2022.
- D’Agostino, S., “Who’ll Pay for Public Access to Federally Funded Research?”, Inside Higher Ed, 12 September 2022.
- D’Agostino, S. & Lederman, D., “No paywall for taxpayer-funded research, U.S. declares”, Inside Higher Ed, 26 August 2022.
- Dixon-Luinenburg, M., “Tearing Down the Academic Research Paywall Could Come with a Price”, Vox, September 18, 2022.
- Horton, R., “The Scramble for Science”, The Lancet, September 24, 2022.
- Open Research Funders Group, “Open Research Funders Group Applauds Bold OSTP Action”, 29 August 29 2022.
- Parikh, S., “AAAS statement on OSTP federally funded research guidance”, AAAS, 25 August 2022.
- Parikh S, Malcom S.M, Moran, B., “Public Access is Not Equal Access“, AAAS, 9 September 2022
- Patel, “White House pushes journals to drop paywall on publicly funded research”, The New York Times, 25 August 2022.
- Petrou, C., Guest Post – “Quantifying the Impact of the OSTP Policy“, The Scholarly Kitchen, 13 September 2022.
- Ratner, H., “OSTP Nelson Memo: My Thoughts and Observations“, 2 September 2022.
- Ruediger, D., “The Outlook for Data Sharing in Light of the Nelson Memo“, The Scholarly Kitchen, 6 September 2022.
- SPARC, “Fact Sheet: White House OSTP Memo on Ensuring Free, Immediate, and Equitable Access to Federally Funded Research“, 25 August 2022.
- STM Statement: “STM’s response to the OSTP memorandum on Ensuring Free, Immediate, and Equitable Access to Federally Funded Research“, 29 August 2022.
- Suber, P., Twitter thread. 25 August 2022.
- Statement: Subscribe-to-Open Community of Practice Statement on the OSTP ‘Nelson Memo‘, Library Journal, 16 September 2022.
- The Scholarly Kitchen Chefs, “Ask the Chefs: OSTP Policy, Part I“, The Scholarly Kitchen, 30 August 2022.
- The Scholarly Kitchen Chefs, “Ask the Chefs: OSTP Policy, Part II“, The Scholarly Kitchen, 31 August 2022.
- Taylor & Francis, “Taylor & Francis welcomes OSTP’s memorandum on Ensuring Free, Immediate, and Equitable Access to Federally Funded Research“, 14 September 2022.
- Tollefson, J. & Van Noorden, R., “US government reveals big changes to open access policy”, Nature, 26 August 2022.
- Zahneis, M., “‘A historic moment’: New guidance requires federally funded research to be open access”, The Chronicle of Higher Education, 25 August 2022.